Clone your site is a tool used to create a new site, based on the theme and plugins from an existing site on your Managed WordPress hosting. This can be helpful if you are thinking of starting a new site based on the style of a site you already have. The following guide will show you how to use this function in your Media Temple account.
Cloning your site only copies your theme, plugins, and some settings. If you wish to transfer additional data (posts, media, etc). you will want to conduct a migration. For information on how to perform a migration, feel free to click here.
- Log into your Media Temple account.
- Click on the blue Admin button associated to your WordPress hosting.
- Hover your cursor over the desired site. Then click Manage Site.
- On the left-side menu, click Developer Tools.
- Click CLONE SITE.
- You may need to wait some time for the cloning process to complete. The timing can vary depending on the complexity of the original WordPress site.
- Upon completion, you can view the cloned site online and log into the wp-admin dashboard.
- As mentioned prior, themes, plugins, and some settings will be cloned, but other data such as posts, media, etc will not be present.