Media Temple's WordPress hosting package is NOT just WordPress - it's a heavily modified wrapper designed for optimal WordPress hosting and complete security. As such, some WordPress features and plugins may not be available, just as there are other features specific to WordPress Hosting that are not available on a normal WordPress installation. To help achieve that, we blacklist and remove a number of plugins known to cause security or performance issues.
What about WordPress Network/Multisite features?
WordPress Network/Multisite features are not supported by Media Temple's dedicated WordPress hosting products.
This list uses the name of the folder the plugin creates when you install it. You can view this directory by connecting to your Managed WordPress account via sFTP (more info).
This is not an exhaustive list of disallowed plugins. Any plugin that fits into these categories or is otherwise known to cause problems may be added to the list or disabled at any time.
Duplicate Functionality - Backups
These plugins duplicate our existing backup and restore functionality. We have seen these plugins cause problems for customers because they use too many resources creating archive files (tar/gzip/zip) and we have seen some poorly configured plugins create recursive backups and sites exceed their allotted storage amount.
We backup your files and database daily for 30 days. You can use our control panel to restore your site to a previous version easily.
To backup your site on demand, you can use SFTP access and a database backup plugin like WP-DB-Backup or WP-DBManager.
Duplicate Functionality - Caching
These plugins duplicate our existing caching functionality. We handle caching before your visitors ever hit WordPress, so these plugins will not work properly.
None! We cache your site for you. If you need help making your site even faster, try these suggestions:
- Use the P3 Profiler plugin to check if your plugins are slowing down your site.
- Check common performance issues on your website.
- Contact (mt) Media Temple's award-winning support team. If your site is still slow, we want to know why and how we can help.
Unnecessary / Nonfunctional
These plugins don't add any value and may not work correctly on our system. Some of these are competitors' integration plugins, and some are superfluous but known to slow down site performance.
We do not remove the Hello Dolly plugin, but we do not install it by default.
These plugins hit the database frequently for stats purposes. They are useful, but they negatively impact your sites' performance. In some cases, they prevent us from properly caching your site.
Duplicate Functionality - Misc
These plugins duplicate functionality in various parts of our system.
- Solution: We take care of security and patching core files.
- Solution: Output compression is handled automatically.
These plugins increase database load by using inefficient queries, poor caching, or poor scaling on large sites.
- wordpress-popular-posts (versions 3.1.1 and below)
These plugins have associated security issues.
These plugins don't perform well, in general, especially on large sites.
- This can cause performance issues. There are no recommended alternatives at this time.
Third-party Mail Connections
- While no third-party mail plugins are explicitly banned by our plugin blocker, all connections from ports 25, 465, and 587 are blocked for security reasons. Therefore, it is not possible to send mail from your WordPress Hosting service using a third-party mail system.