Keeping WHM up-to-date is a vital way to take advantage of the console's latest features and avoid any potential security pitfalls that can arise when running outdated software. This article will show you how to upgrade your panel to the latest version.
As with all guides for major server changes, there will always be edge cases that experience errors which can break things. While we have tried to account for possible fail-points, there is no way to guarantee with 100% certainty that the following commands won't cause more harm than good.
Before upgrading (important)
Before performing the actual upgrade to WHM, you should:
- Make a back-up of your entire server, preferably using the Snapshot Backup tool. A Snapshot Backup will give you the option of restoring to your old server setup if anything goes wrong during the upgrade.
- Reboot your DV server.
- Be comfortable with the idea that there is always a possibility that you will need to re-install and/or revert to that backup data.
- Log into WHM.
- Click on the Update Now button located in the top-right of WHM.
- Select Click to Upgrade.
- Allow the update process to complete.
- Once the update is complete, reboot your server.
- That's it! Your WHM / cPanel version should be successfully updated.
- Connect to your server via ssh using the root user.
- Run the following command:
- Reboot your server.
- That's it! Your WHM version should be successfully updated.