Setting an outgoing limitation on the number of emails that can be sent from your server can actually be quite beneficial for the health of your server. This is especially true if your server has multiple email addresses, where you may not be able to monitor all of them on a regular basis. Setting outgoing limitations can help prevent outgoing spam, minimize your disk space usage, and also help maintain a good IP reputation for spam filters and real time ban lists (RBL).
The following guide was created using Plesk Onyx version 17.18.11. If you are using a different version of Plesk, your instructions and control panel visuals may vary.
- Log into the Plesk control panel.
- On the left-hand menu, go to Server Management >> Tools and Settings.
- Click on Mail Server Settings.
- Ensure that Switch on limitations on outgoing email messages is enabled.
- You can adjust the default outgoing limitations to your specifications.
- When you are finished, scroll to the bottom and click OK.
- Navigate to the desired domain control panel in Plesk.
- Click on Email Addresses.
- Select your desired user. Then click Limit Outgoing Messages.
- Click Custom value for mailbox. Then enter a custom limitation for your desired user.
- When you are finished, click OK.
The following guide was created using WHM/cPanel version v78.0.41 with the paper_lantern theme. If you are using a different version of cPanel, your instructions and control panel visuals may vary.
- Log into WHM.
- On the left-hand menu, navigate to Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings.
- Click on the Mail tab.
- Locate Max hourly emails per domain. Input an outgoing limit for the entire server.
- When you finished, you can scroll to the bottom and click Save.
- Log into WHM.
- On the left-hand menu, navigate to Account Functions >> Modify Account.
- Select your desired domain. Then click Modify.
- Locate Maximum Hourly Email by Domain Relayed. Input an outgoing limit for the domain.
- When you are finished, select Save.
The Grid has a built-in outgoing email limitation in place. Due to the shared-nature of the Grid, this limit cannot be adjusted. For detailed information on outgoing limitations on the Grid, feel free to review the article below:
Google Workspace has a built-in outgoing email limitation in place. This limitation is not able to be adjusted. For detailed information on outgoing limitations in Google Workspace, feel free to check out Google's documentation below: