The following article will help familiarize yourself with Shared Hosting and the rest of the tools that come with your new service.
Advanced Support can help!
Need assistance with your server, including migrating your site? Additional assistance is available via Advanced Support, our premium services division. For more information on what Advanced Support can do for you, please click here.
The Account Center is the main secure interface to manage your domain and Shared Hosting. This is how you will manage your account and various services. For information on the basic functions of the Account Center, please see:
First Time Setup
We will now walk you through the setup of a brand new Shared Hosting server.
- Log into the Media Temple Account Center.
- Click on the ADMIN button associated to your Shared Hosting server.
- Type your desired domain name, then click Update.
- Select a data center location.
- In this example, we will install WordPress. If you do not use WordPress, select Not now, thanks.
- If WordPress is being installed, enter a WordPress admin username & password. Then select Next. It may take a few minutes for your service to provision.
- You will be shown a list of DNS. Take note of this information, as these DNS records will be necessary to connect your domain, once you're ready to go live.
- Once your setup is complete, you can continue to the Dashboard to work on your website.
Logging into cPanel
cPanel is the control panel that is used to perform a number of primary functions on your server. This can include: creating email accounts, installing SSLs, using the File Manager, and more. For detailed information on how to access cPanel please see:
Setting up FTP/SSH
FTP is a common method used when you need to upload multiple files onto your website at once. For detailed information on how to use FTP, please see:
Create email accounts
Databases for your website can be easily created and managed using cPanel:
Moving a site to Shared Hosting? Check out our migration guides below:
Shared Hosting has a Backup Wizard that allows users to create backups with just a few clicks. For detailed instructions see:
Pointing your DNS to Media Temple
After you've finished creating your website, you may need to update your DNS to connect your website to the the Shared Hosting server. You can find information on that process below:
Hosting multiple domains
If you wish to have additional domains on your Shared Hosting, you can do so by using the Addon Domains feature. Information on that process can be found below:
24/7 Phone and Chat Support
We are a true 24/7/365 company. What this means to you is that you have total, around-the-clock access to our renowned Customer Support Department.