The following article will get you familiar with your new Shared Hosting account, including the Account Center, our world-renowned support department, and the rest of the tools that come with your new service.
Advanced Support can help!
Need assistance with your server, including migrating your site? Additional assistance is available via Advanced Support, our premium services division. For more information on what Advanced Support can do for you, please click here.
The Account Center is the main secure interface to manage your domain and Shared Hosting. This is how you will log into your Media Temple account and manage your various services. For information on the basic functions of the Account Center, please see:
First Time Setup
The following will give you a quick run-through of setting up your service after first purchasing Shared Hosting.
- Log into the Media Temple Account Center.
- Click on the ADMIN button associated to your Shared Hosting server.
- If this is your first time accessing your server, you will be asked to enter a domain name. Type your desired domain name, then click Update.
- Select a data center location.
- Select if you'd like to install WordPress. This can be done at a later time if you select Not now, thanks.
- If WordPress was selected, enter a WordPress admin username & password. Then select Next.
- It may take a few minutes for your service to provision.
- Next, you will be shown a list of DNS to point your domain to. You may want to make a note or screenshot this information, as this will be necessary to connect your domain to the server and push your website live. You can however, complete this at another time and simply select I'm done, continue setup.
- Once your setup is complete, you can continue to the Dashboard to work on your website.
Logging into cPanel
cPanel is the control panel that is used to perform a number of primary functions on your server. For information on how to access cPanel please see:
Setting up FTP/SSH
The following guides will show you how you can set up your SSH and FTP users:
Create email accounts
The Shared Servers come with email capabilities. This article walks you through the steps for creating email users through cPanel. Once your email account is created, we have guides on how to add it to your favorite email client.
Databases on the Shared Servers can be quickly accessed by following the instructions below:
Moving a site to Shared Hosting? Check out our migration guides below:
Backups can be quickly made through cPanel. For detailed instructions see:
Pointing your DNS to Media Temple
After you've finished setting up your website, you may need to update your DNS to connect your website to the the Shared Hosting server. You can find information on that process below:
24/7 Phone and Chat Support
We are a true 24/7/365 company. What this means to you is that you have total, around-the-clock access to our renowned Customer Support Department.
(310) 841-5500. Call us anytime and you'll be connected to our support center which is based entirely out of Los Angeles, California. You'll be happy to speak with what we consider the best support personnel in the industry. Outside of the USA? We have international numbers.