With Google Apps, you can give users multiple email identities at domains other than the primary domain you have associated with the service. To do this you would use a domain alias. Domain aliases are additional domains you may add to your Google Apps account at no additional cost. These domain aliases may be used to send and receive email. Keep in mind this is different than a typical email alias that would use your primary domain.
For example, you may have a primary domain at mydomain.com that you are using for your Google Apps account and an email address for firstname.lastname@example.org. A typical email alias would be something like, email@example.com. Using a domain alias, you could create an email address at a completely different domain. An example would be, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must own the domain name that you intend to add as a domain alias. The domain must also not be registered as part of any other Google account.
- Log in to the Google Admin console as the Super Admin.
- From the dashboard, click Domains.
If you cannot see the Domains icon from the dashboard, click on More controls located at the bottom of your dashboard to reveal the Domains icon.
- Select Add a domain or a domain alias.
- Choose Add a domain alias to primary-domain-name.
- Enter the name of the domain alias you want to add to your account.
- Click Continue and verify domain ownership.
- At this point, you will need to choose which method you wish to use to verify your ownership of the domain.
You may refer to our article on verification for Google Apps domains if you need assistance with this.
- Click Verify and continue to setup email delivery.
- Update the domain's MX records to route mail to Google's mail servers.
You may refer to our article on pointing your mail to Google Apps if you need assistance with this.
- Click I have completed these steps.
Immediately after you complete the steps above, the status on your Domains page in your Admin console should read as "Updating." When the domain ownership for your new domain alias is verified, the status will change to "Active." Please be aware that it can take up to 24 hours after verification for all users to receive their alias email addresses.