Google Workspace is a service from Google providing independently customizable versions of several Google products under a custom domain name.
Before you start:
- Make sure that your Google Workspace account is already established. Learn more here.
- If you want to use Media Temple's "Point Mail to Google" tool, the domain you want to use for Google Workspace must be using nameservers.
Any changes to your domain's DNS zone file will need to propagate across the Internet. As a general rule, we recommend you allow 24-48 hours for DNS propagation. Read this article on how to lower your TTL value for a smooth transition.
- Log into your AccountCenter.
- From the Overview page or Domains tab, select the domain you want to point to Google Workspace.
- Scroll down to the DNS & ZONE FILES section.
- Click Edit DNS Zone File.
- Scroll down and select the Point Mail to Google Workspace button.
- You will see a prompt that reads like this:
This action will point the email for the zone gs-example.com to Google. Please make sure that you have completed the setup through Google before proceeding.
Select the OK button.
- The page will refresh and your Zone File's MX records will now be pointing to Google Workspace.
This includes an SPF record for your domain.
You may also want to create CNAME records for your domain to point to Google Workspace.
For reference, you'll want your MX records to look something like this when the process is complete. (Please note that the TTL, domain, and subdomain values will vary between DNS hosts.)
|Blank or @||.domain.com||43200||MX||1||ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM|
|Blank or @||.domain.com||43200||MX||5||ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM|
|Blank or @||.domain.com||43200||MX||5||ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM|
|Blank or @||.domain.com||43200||MX||10||ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM|
|Blank or @||.domain.com||43200||MX||10||ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM|