Google Workspace provides the option of turning on two-step verification for your user accounts. This provides an extra layer of security to your user's data by having them authenticate with a verification code as well as their password. (mt) Media Temple recommends that you enable this option to make your accounts more secure. The instructions below will lead you through enabling two-step verification as well as enforcing it's use for your Google Workspace service.
Enabling Two-Step Verification
These steps will guide you through enabling the option of using two-step verification for your Google Workspace account users. This allows your users to choose to use the feature if they wish. It does not make two-step verification mandatory for your users.
If you wish to make it mandatory for your users to use two-step authentication, please continue on to the enforcing two-step verification instructions once the two-step verification option is enabled.
- Log into your Google Workspace Admin Console.
- From the dashboard, select Security.
- Scroll down and select 2-step Verification.
- Ensure that Allow users to turn on 2-Step Verification is checked.
- You can update additional advanced features such as:
- Enforcement: Force users to user 2-Step Verification.
- New user enrollment period: Allow new users time before they must use 2-Step Verification.
- Frequency: Allow users to set trusted devices.
- Methods: Set the allowed methods for verification (phone, text, email, etc).
- Select the Save button that appears.
- Google Workspace Help Center: Two-Step Verification
- Getting Started with Google Workspace
- Creating an Email Account