Changing your root password is simple. It's important that this password be as strong as possible. Please also note that Media Temple recommends that your root password not be one that is in use elsewhere.
Before you start, be sure to have these login credentials handy:
Watch this video to learn how to set or reset your cPanel password.Via WHM
1. Log into WHM. You should be on the management screen.
2. Select the Server Configuration panel.
3. Select the Change Root Password panel.
4. Create a strong password. It is extremely important that your root password is not one that you are using for anything else, as it controls access to all cPanel features.
1. Open a terminal and log into SSH as the root user. You should type either "ssh firstname.lastname@example.org" or "ssh email@example.com". You may receive something similar to this: "The authenticity of host '12.34.567.890 (12.34.567.890)' can't be established. RSA key fingerprint is.... Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?" This is ok. Simply type 'yes' and hit enter.
2. Type the 'passwd' command.
3. Create a new strong password and confirm it.