This article is will help you set up an IMAP email connection to your (mt) Media Temple service using the email application Postbox. Postbox, built on top of Thunderbird, is an email application which runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows.
Before you start, be sure you have these handy:
- Your domain name: example.com
- Your email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please read this article: Creating a POP/IMAP email account.
- Your email password.
- Your access domain. Read our article What is an "Access Domain"? for more information.
READ ME FIRST
This article is provided as a courtesy. Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting third-party applications is outside the scope of support provided by (mt) Media Temple. Please take a moment to review the Statement of Support.
READ ME FIRST
The publishing of this information does not imply support of this article. This article is provided solely as a courtesy to our customers. Please take a moment to review the Statement of Support.
1. Download and install the latest version of Postbox.
2. When you first launch Postbox, it should take you to the New Account Setup page. If it does not, or you are adding an additional account, click on File > New > Account. See Figure 1:
Figure 1: Click on Account to begin.
3. Choose Other email account and click Continue. See Figure 2:
Figure 2: Be sure to select Other email account.
4. Provide your name and full email address, then click Continue. See Figure 3:
Figure 3: Be sure to enter your full email address.
5. Enter your Server Information. See Figure 4:
Figure 4: We recommend using IMAP and your access domain.
Server Type: IMAP (POP may be used, however we strongly recommend using IMAP)
- Incoming Server: xxxx-xxxx.accessdomain.com
- Outgoing Server: xxxx-xxxx.accessdomain.com
- Incoming Server: example.com or your IP address
- Outgoing Server: example.com or your IP address
6. Enter your User Name. See Figure 5:
Figure 5: Your user name is your full email address.
7. Enter Account Name. See Figure 6:
Figure 6: Name this account whatever you like.
8. Review your account settings, then click Done.