Plesk is the control panel for your DV Server. When you newly provision or revert your VPS to default, you will need to set Plesk up before you can begin using the interface.
- Log into your Media Temple account.
- Click on the grey PLESK button associated to your server.
SSL warning from Plesk
Plesk will often use a default self-signed certificate. This may cause your browser to prompt an SSL warning. This is a normal part of the process and is not a means for concern. You will simply proceed by following the directions associated to your browser:
- Click Advanced...
- Click Accept the Risk and Continue.
- In Chrome, you can click Advanced...
- Then click Proceed to xxx-xxxxx.accessdomain.com
- In Safari, you can click Show More
- Then click visit this website.
- In Internet Explorer, you can click Continue to this website to proceed.
If you require a method to provide your clients with a URL that does not display this certificate warning, you may feel free to use the non-encrypted URL at http://IP ADDRESS:8880. You can also use the :8880 URL with any domain name that points to your server.
Plesk Onyx 17.8+
- You will be prompted to input a Contact Name, Email address, and admin Password. When you are finished, click Enter Plesk.
- A loading screen will prompt, you will want to wait for this process to complete. This should only take a few minutes.
- When the initialization process is complete, you should now be logged into Plesk!
Plesk Onyx 17.5 or older
- You should now see a login screen for Plesk.
- Return to your Media Temple Account and click on the blue ADMIN button associated to your server.
- Click on Change Plesk Password.
- Create a temporary password (Plesk will require you to change this later during the setup process).
- Use the username "admin" and your temporary password to log into Plesk.
- Select what best describes how you will be using Plesk.
- Plesk will recommend a "view" based on the previous question. You have the option to change your view later, so you can simply select which view you believe would best fit your needs at the moment, then press OK.
- Plesk should provide a default hostname and IP address. You will want to update your previous temporary password, to a strong password. Then click OK.
- Enter your admin contact information. Then click OK.
- Enter information to create a webspace for your first domain. If you don't have a domain yet, you can simply fill in the information for now and edit/remove the webspace later.
- That's it! You should now be have Plesk configured!