This article contains information on adding email users to your hosting service. Be sure to check the various tabs at the top of this article to ensure you are viewing the instructions for the appropriate service-type.
The following guide is using the cPanel theme, "paper_lantern."
- Log into cPanel for your Shared Hosting server.
- Click Email Accounts.
- Click Create Account.
- Complete the on-screen fields, and then click Create Account.
- After creating email accounts, you can either check them with webmail or use an email client.
- If your cPanel email accounts aren't working, you probably need to update your domain name's email settings (technically known as its DNS zone file's MX Records) — we've got that information for you in Configuring DNS for your cPanel domain.
Watch this video to learn how to create an email account in Plesk.
- Log into the Plesk Control Panel for your domain.
If you log into Plesk with the admin user, you will be in the Server Administration Panel by default. To get to the Control Panel, click on Domains, then on the Control Panel link next to your domain.
You can also create a user that will log into the Control Panel by default, which will save you a few clicks on day-to-day webmaster tasks. See Control Panel user.
- Click on the Email Addresses tab.
- Click on Create Email Address.
- Fill in the information for your email user, then click OK.
- E-mail address: Enter the username, and select the domain from the dropdown menu.
- Access to the Customer Panel: Allow the email user to log into Plesk as a customer.
- Password: Please use a strong password.
- Mailbox: Choose the default size for that subscription, or set a custom size.
- Description in Plesk: Optional description of the account for personal usage.
You have the option to create an email address that corresponds to one of your Control Panel users (see Control Panel user, rather than email address that's just an email address. If you're making a Control Panel user email address, you can just type in the username (which should match the username you gave the Control Panel user) and click OK. The password will be the same as the user password.
- You will be taken back to the main Mail screen. You should see a confirmation message, and your new email address in the list.
- Note that you can click on any email address to reopen the settings. From here, you can click on the appropriate tab to edit the forwarding, alias, auto-reply, or spam settings. (Look at Figure 4 above for reference.) Check the Resources section below for these topics.
Removing a user
- To remove an email account, simply select the check box next to the desired user. Then select Remove.
The following guide was created in cPanel using the paper_lantern theme. If you are using a different theme for cPanel, the visuals may vary slightly on your end. However, these instructions should be generally applicable to most themes.
Creating a user
- Log into cPanel for your domain.
- Click on the Email Accounts icon in the Mail section.
- Next, you will choose a username, password and quota for this new account. Once this is done, click the Create Account button to create the new email user.
- The user will now appear under the Email Account tab.
Removing a user
- To remove a user, simply click on the Delete icon next to the desired user.
Watch this video to learn how to create an email account on your Grid.
Creating an Email Address
- Log into your AccountCenter.
- On the Overview tab, click the Admin button next to your Grid. Select the service that has the domain you wish to create an email address for.
- Depending on when your Grid server was provisioned, you will either select Add/Edit Users from the Server Settings panel or, for legacy Grid servers, select Add/Edit Email Users. Only one of the options will be available. The rest of the instructions will be the same regardless of which option was available.
Older Grid servers may not see the option above and will instead select Add/Edit Email Users:
- Then click on in the top-right corner.
- Now you can begin setting up your email user. First, start with the username, domain, and description.
- Email address/Username: Capitalization does not matter and please keep in mind that usernames can only contain letters, numbers, hyphens (-), underscores (_) and periods (.). No spaces or other special characters are allowed and usernames cannot begin with a number.
- Domain: If you want this new user to receive mail at all of the domains on your Grid, the default value for this field (all domains) will accomplish that. Otherwise, select an individual domain from the drop-down menu.
- Description: A short description to identify this email address. This acts as a label for your reference in the Account Center.
- Next, you will need to create a password for this user. Please note the password requirements on the right side of the screen.
Each of the password requirements will turn green and show a checkmark when they have been met, as seen in the above screenshot. If any password requirements are shown in grey, they are not met, and you will not be able to save until they have been corrected.
- These settings are not required and can be skipped if you desire.
- Send User Creation Letter: This will allow you to send a notice to an existing email address that this account has been created, along with usage instructions. This is useful if you are creating the account for someone else. Please note that it will not include the password. You can add a custom message to the letter if you want to include it or any other information.
- MailProtect Settings: This will allow you to set up custom spam filter settings for this user. By default, it will use the Global Settings for your Grid. For more information on MailProtect spam filtering, please see this KnowledgeBase article:
- Auto-reply settings: This will allow you to configure an auto-responder for this address. This can also be done by the user, through Webmail, once they are logged in.
- Enable SSH access: This will give the user SSH access to the server. Please note that only the Server Admin user has full SSH access. Email users can only access their user directory in SSH.
Enable FTP access: This option will give the user FTP access to the server. Please see the following KnowledgeBase article for more information:
At the bottom of the screen, click the button.
If this button is greyed out or cannot be clicked, this indicates that a required field is not completed. Check to make sure all fields are filled and that your password meets all the listed requirements.
Removing an Email Address
- To remove a user, simply navigate to the desired user and select the icon.
Instructions1. Log in to the Account Center.
2. Scroll down to the G Suite section and click on ADMIN. Make sure you select the domain that you want to work with.
If you are seeing Add More Seats instead of Add User, you have already created users for all of your G Suite "seats" and will need to purchase additional seats to add more users. For information on adding more seats to your G Suite service, check out the article here.
5. That's it! Now that you have a user account added, you can log into Gmail using the credentials you just created for this user.
- Log into your AccountCenter.
- Click on the Admin button for your Premium WP service.
- Click on the site you wish to add the email user for.
- Click Email from the menu.
- Click the ADD EMAIL USER button.
- Enter the desired email username and select the correct domain for this user.
- Next, enter a brief description to identify this new account.
- Choose a password. We recommend creating a strong password for the security of your account. Please also be aware of the password requirements when creating this.
- Optionally, You may create a short email to notify someone of the creation of this new email account.
- Lastly, you also also have the option of creating an auto-responder. This would be a message that would automatically be sent as a reply to anyone that sends an email to this account. This is often used as an "out of office reply."
- Once you are finished setting everything up, you can click to complete the process and a new email account will be created for this email user.