The following guide will provide instructions on how to add a domain or subdomain to any of your (mt) Media Temple servers.
Remember, a subdomain is a domain that is part of a top-level domain. For example:
- mt-domain.org is a top-level domain
- store.mt-domain.org is a subdomain.
Adding a Domain
- Log into the (mt) Media Temple Account Center.
- Click on the Add a Domain button.
- Type your domain name in the text box. You may need to make some additional selections which are outlined below.
I want to register this domain:
If you have NOT purchased a domain registration at Media Temple or outside company, and need to register the domain name. This will require appropriate registration fees.
I already own this domain:
If you've ALREADY purchased the domain registration at Media Temple or a third-party provider. Since the domain is already purchased, this option is free.
- If you've selected I already own this domain, you will be prompted with another option to Add a zone file. Leave this checked if you plan to host the domain's DNS zone files at Media Temple.
If the domain was registered in this Media Temple account:
Verification will not be required to add a zone file.
If the domain was registered at a third-party company, or in a separate Media Temple account:
Verification may be required to add a zone file.
- Select the server you wish to add the domain to. Then click Continue Order.
- If Add a zone file was selected, it may be necessary to verify ownership of your domain. This will require you to create a TXT record at a third-party DNS host. If you'd like more detail on this topic, feel free to review our article below:
Verifying domain ownership via TXT record
- Once verification steps have been completed, you will be taken to the Overview page of your Media Temple account. You should now see the domain added to the selected server.
Adding a Subdomain
The process for adding a subdomain is almost identical to that of a parent domain. You may just want to note the following:
- It is NOT necessary to manually create www, ftp, or mail subdomains, as those will be generated automatically if you create a zone file for the parent domain.
- If you are verifying domain ownership for a subdomain, create the TXT file on the PARENT domain. (for example: if you are trying to verify shop.example.com, create the TXT on _mtverify.example.com)
- When attempting to add your subdomain, a message will appear asking you to confirm that you wish to add a subdomain. Check the box, Yes I want to add the subdomain. Then continue as usual.
Next Steps for Plesk/cPanel servers
If you plan to also build/host your website files on your Media Temple server, you will want to ensure you:
Next Steps for WordPress servers
If you plan to also build/host your website files on your Media Temple server, you will want to ensure you add the domain to a WordPress site.
Next Steps for Shared Hosting
After adding your domain to your server through the Account Center, you may need to configure additional settings within cPanel. For information on this, feel free to view the resources below: