Follow these instructions to order an SSL Certificate from (mt) Media Temple. (mt) Media Temple utilizes Domain Validated SSL certificates from a third-party provider.
Ordering the SSL Certificate1. Log into your Account Center.
2. Click Domains from the menu at the top of the screen and select Add New Domain or Service.
3. Scroll down to the Add-On Services section, and click Activate next to SSL Certificate.
Verifying the order after purchase
Once you have submitted the information for your SSL, verification will be required. There are four ways you will be able to verify ownership of the domain you are trying to secure.
The domain validation only needs to be approved by ONE of these methods.
Method 1 - Auto-Verification
This method can be utilized if the DNS for the domain to be secured is hosted with Media Temple (i.e. your domain's name servers are pointed to ns1.mediatemple.net and ns2.mediatemple.net and associated with your account).
After filling out your SSL information, you'll be presented with an AUTO-VERIFICATION button which can be clicked on to verify the SSL.
Method 2 - Email Verification
This method can be utilized if you have access to the administrative emails for the domain that is to be secured. Emails will be sent to the administrative addresses which will include:
There will be an email link sent to those addresses which can be clicked on to validate the SSL.
Method 3 - HTML verification
This method can be utilized if you have file access to your domain's web hosting.
- When an SSL order is placed, an email with a unique ID will be sent to your Media Temple Primary Email Address.
- Take the unique ID, and navigate to your domain’s root directory.
- Once in your root directory, create a folder path /.well-known/pki-validation/
- Create a filed name godaddy.html, and place it inside of /.well-known/pki-validation/
- Copy only your unique ID and place it inside the godaddy.html file
- That’s it! However, you may need to wait a bit of time for the verification to complete
If your domain's web hosting is at Media Temple, and you are unsure where is your document root, you can feel free to review our article on the topic:
How can I find my website's document root
Method 4 - DNS Verification
This method utilizes your zone file. To complete this, you'll need to log into the account where you have your nameservers pointed. To see this information, you can perform a simple WHOIS lookup. For instructions, see this article.
Once you are logged into the account where our name servers are, you can follow the instructions below
- Add a new record.
- For record type select "TXT".
- If your zone file is managed at Media Temple, leave the subdomain field blank. Other hosts may require you to use an '@' in the subdomain field.
- For the value following the subdomain, enter your Unique ID.
Once this has been completed, save the file. Please keep in mind that verification could take up to 24 hours to complete. It is unlikely that verification will take 24 hours, but it can occur and is part of the normal verification process. You should also receive a second confirmation email once the certificate has been issued.
Installing the certificate
- Return to the Overview page in the Account Center once you have verified your contact information and click on the Manage button for your SSL Certificate.
- The next step depends on which service will use the SSL certificate:
- If you are ordering for most of our hosting services, we are able to automatically install the SSL certificate onto the server. To do this, select which service you wish to apply the certificate to and click Install.
- If you are ordering for a DV Developer or (ve) server, or you do not want us to automatically, you will want to refer to the installing an SSL Certificate for instructions to manually install your SSL Certificate.