Follow these instructions to order an SSL Certificate from (mt) Media Temple. (mt) Media Temple utilizes Domain Validated SSL certificates from a third-party provider.
Ordering the SSL Certificate
- Log into your Account Center.
- Click Domains from the menu at the top of the screen and select Add New Domain or Service.
- Scroll down to the Add-On Services section, and click Activate next to SSL Certificate.
- Fill in the "Common name" with the domain name you wish to secure. If you are securing a domain such as www.example.com, please type your domain name in the box without the "www." prefix. Our SSL certificates will protect both the domain and the www. subdomain. If you would like to protect a specific subdomain such as secure.example.com then you will need to enter the exact subdomain that you will be using with your new SSL certificate. Please be aware that the free Secure Site Seal will only show up for the exact domain name for which the SSL certificate was purchased.
- Verify the domain order is correct, and then select Continue Order to begin the purchase process for your SSL.
Verifying the order after purchase
- Now we need to obtain contact information to be submitted to the SSL provider in order to complete the SSL order. Navigate to the Add-On Services on the Overview page and select the Manage button for your new SSL Certificate.
- Next, you will need to select a contact to act as owner of the SSL or enter the certificate owner's contact information. Then, click Continue.
- Once you have submitted the contact information, the verification process will begin.
There are three ways you will be able to verify ownership of the domain you are trying to secure. First, if the DNS for the domain to be secured is hosted with Media Temple and associated with your account, we’ll present you with a button which can be clicked to verify the domain ownership. Alternatively, emails will be sent to the contacts in the WHOIS database for the domain (for help updating your domain's registrant contact email, please refer to this article), as well as, the administrative email accounts for that domain. Clicking on the link in these emails will validate the domain ownership. Finally, if you are not able to take advantage of the above methods and only received the email sent to to the email address specified in the order form, follow the instructions in Manual Domain Access Control Verification below. The domain validation only needs to be approved by one of these methods.
The order should be completed within 24 hours after you approve the order. You should also receive a second confirmation email once the certificate has been issued.
Manual Domain Access Control Verification
If you are unable to automatically verify your domain ownership, you can verify your ownership manually using the unique identifier you received in the email via a DNS record:
Via DNS Record
This method utilizes your zone file. To complete this, you'll need to log into the account where you have your nameservers pointed. To see this information, you can perform a simple WHOIS lookup. For instructions, see this article.
Once you've logged in, you'll need to navigate to the section where you can edit your zone file (please note that this can be referred to by different titles and may not be called a zone file). Once you're there, you'll need to add a text (TXT) record. This is information that servers can pull to learn things about your domain name. In this particular instance, our servers will pull the information that you enter in order to verify ownership of the domain. Once in the correct area to modify your zone file, several record types should be available. Each record type should include a sub-domain("www", "ftp", "mail") followed by a value field; sometimes an IP address or sometimes another domain name. For DNS verification use the following instructions:
1. Add a new record.
2. For record type select "TXT".
3. Enter "@" in the sub-domain field. ("www", "ftp", "mail") to create the TXT record for the root domain. If your DNS Host does not support the use of "@", please contact them for information on creating a TXT record for the Root domain.
4. For the value following the sub-domain, enter your Unique ID.
Once this has been completed, save the file. Please keep in mind that verification could take up to 24 hours to complete. It is unlikely that verification will take 24 hours, but it can occur and is part of the normal verification process.
Installing the certificate
- Return to the Overview page in the Account Center once you have verified your contact information and click on the Manage button for your SSL Certificate.
- The next step depends on which service will use the SSL certificate:
- If you are ordering for most of our hosting services, we are able to automatically install the SSL certificate onto the server. To do this, select which service you wish to apply the certificate to and click Install.
- If you are ordering for a DV Developer or (ve) server, or you do not want us to automatically, you will want to refer to the installing an SSL Certificate for instructions to manually install your SSL Certificate.