This article outlines the steps for transferring a domain registration away from Media Temple. If you are looking for information on how to transfer a domain TO Media Temple, we advise checking a different article, listed below:
Below are a few terms you may want to become familiar with, as you may encounter them during the transfer process.
The losing registrar is the domain registrar you are planning to transfer the domain registration AWAY from. This can also be referred to as the "current registrar." In this article, Media Temple will be considered the losing registrar.
The winning registrar is the NEW domain registrar you are planning to transfer the domain registration to.
In order to transfer a domain registration away from Media Temple, you will just want to check a few settings in your Media Temple account, and then hand an authorization code over to your new/winning registrar.
- Check to make sure your domain is not expired.
- An easy way to do this is by running a WHOIS search, then looking at the expiration date and domain status.
- Ensure that your domain has NOT been registered, transferred, or had ownership changed within the last 60 days.
- Ensure domain privacy is disabled.
- Ensure domain locking is disabled.
- Retrieve your domain's Authorization Code.
- Once you completed the steps above, provide the Authorization Code to your winning registrar and they will be able to complete the domain transfer.
If you are experiencing issues with your domain transfer, you may want to check the Reasons for a domain transfer to fail. You may also fee free to reach out to our 24/7 support staff by opening a support request, starting a chat, or calling us at 1.310.841.5500.