Being a customer-centric and user experience-driven company means that we are constantly working on improving our hosting solutions to keep them at the forefront of performance.
Our user-first approach applies to all our hosting offering, including our VPS solutions whose hardware and software were recently upgraded. Since then, we’ve been hard at work and here are some software updates and optimizations that we recently implemented:
- Plesk Onyx, the latest version of the Plesk control panel, is here! We’ve partnered with Plesk to be one of the first web hosting companies to offer Plesk Onyx to our customers. Plesk Onyx will be included on all new managed VPS with SSDs solutions. Current VPS and VPS with SSD customers who are running CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 have the option to upgrade to Plesk Onyx at their convenience. Plesk Onyx maintains the same user interface as Plesk 12.5, while adding a compelling set of features web professionals want and need today, including:
- Newly added Git support, which makes it easy to deploy a website by either pushing it to a local Git repository or pulling it from a remote one;
- Extensions to set up ready-to-code environments for Ruby, Node.js, Java, and more;
- Automatic (or manual, if you choose) system packages updates.
- WHM / cPanel on CentOS 7 – We’ve given our customers more choices for their server’s control panel by making the powerful WHM / cPanel 11.5 (the complete list of new and updated features can be found here) officially available for CentOS 7. Now, our managed and fully-managed VPS solutions support any combination of either CentOS 6 or CentOS 7 with Plesk 12.5 or WHM / cPanel 11.5.
- HTTP/2 support on Plesk 12.5 – Plesk 12.5 latest update, #28, includes the long-awaited support for HTTP/2. The first major HTTP update since 1.1 was released 15 years ago, HTTP/2 allows the use of a single connection from browser to a website while improving end-user latency alongside a reduction in network and server resource usage. This Community article details how to enable HTTP/2 on all Plesk-managed sites. Need to upgrade to Plesk 12.5? Follow these instructions.
Note: To enable HTTP/2, your site must be protected by an SSL since currently no browser supports HTTP/2 unencrypted. Media Temple’s SSL certificates come standard with the strongest encryption (SHA-2 and 2048-bit keys) available and are easy to install, with one-click domain validation and installation for Plesk, with one-click installation for WHM / cPanel coming soon.
- PHP 7 support – Multiple versions of PHP, including the latest version of PHP 7, are now supported on both our managed and fully-managed VPS with Plesk or WHM / cPanel. PHP 7 is the most feature-rich update since PHP 5 was released in 2004 and include performance updates and reduced memory consumption – a complete list of which can be found here. Plesk 12.5 supports PHP 7 out-of-the-box, while PHP 7 can be enabled in WHM / cPanel by switching to Easy Apache 4.
Feel free to leave any questions or comments below.