The lovely folks over at WordPress have released Version 3.2, aka “Gershwin,” so named for its smoother, more customizable features. “Faster, leaner, cleaner and easier to make your mark with.” Check out the highlights below, but take care to read this entire article for directions on upgrading. This is a special update you don’t want to miss out on.
- Redesigned post editor with full-screen, distraction-free writing or zen mode
- Refreshed dashboard design (Rhapsody in Grey?)
- New fully HTML5 Twenty Eleven blog theme
- New theme features shown off by Twenty Eleven, like multiple rotating header images
- Streamlining enabled by retiring support for PHP4, older MySQL, and legacy browsers
- More shortcuts on the admin bar
- New Approve & Reply feature on the comment moderation screen
- In your first update after 3.2, only the files that have changed with each new release will be updated, which makes updates significantly faster on all hosting platforms
- Check out the full story on the 3.2 Codex Page, or the Trac Milestone
How do I update?
In order to update, your site needs to have recent PHP5 and MySQL5 versions. Don’t know what those are? No problem.
- Make sure you’re using PHP5
- Make sure you’re using MySQL5. (gs) Clusters 4,5,6,7,8 or 9 are already using MySQL 5.
Note: Some (gs) Grid-Service users on Cluster 1, 2 or 3 may need to upgrade your databases. First, find out what Cluster your (gs) resides on. From there, you can discover what version of MySQL you are using inside of PHPMyAdmin. If you need to upgrade, please enter support request from your AccountCenter.
- (mt) users who already have WordPress, update using your wp-admin panel
- If you don’t have WordPress installed on your (mt) server just yet, we provide a 1-Click installer in the AccountCenter for (gs) users, and (dv) users can install from their Application Catalog
We’d love to help if you have any questions. Feel free to call us at (877) 578-4000 for support.