Here at (mt) Media Temple, our self-hosted, WordPress users enjoy complete control of their website. They can utilize features and tools through their own addition of plugins and code. Although WordPress.com users may have enjoyed extra tools originally unavailable to us, times have changed and our friends at Automattic are bridging the gap!
Just announced! Automattic and WordPress.com have released Jetpack, a plugin chock-full of dot.com features now available to dot.org users via one simple installation. (mt) Media Temple is one of a few web hosts with exclusive launch access. Starting today, all (gs) 1-click installs of WordPress are pre-bundled with Jetpack.
What is Jetpack?
Jetpack is a WordPress plugin that supercharges your self-hosted WordPress site with the awesome cloud power of WordPress.com.
- Simple, concise stats with no additional load on your server
- The WP.me URL shortener
- Hovercard popups for your commenters via Gravatar
- Embedded media from sites like YouTube, Digg, and Vimeo
- A simple way to include beautiful mathematical expressions on your site
- A widget for displaying recent tweets
- Easily share your posts via email & social networks
- After the Deadline: spell, style, and grammar checker
- and many more to come!
If you are already running WordPress on your (gs) or (dv) server, you can install Jetpack via the plugin directory on your admin panel, or by uploading the files to your server. For (gs) users who have not installed WordPress yet, Jetpack will be included with the 1-Click WordPress install found in your AccountCenter.